Sunday, August 28, 2011

Sail (A Parable)

“It’s time. Go.”

“Yes Captain. What heading?”

“Any you choose.”

Silence rested on the ship between the sound of waves lapping against the hull. The first mate was trained to chart a course in any direction he was told, but found himself completely unprepared for this response. They had drifted for many days and found themselves in the midst of an endless stretch of blue in all directions.

“I do not know which direction to go Captain.”

“Do you trust the tide to carry you home?”

“No. But I am afraid to choose wrong direction.”

“Why?”

“What if we end up lost?”

The captain chuckled in a low rumble and a wide smile spread across his face.

“Are you not already lost?”

He took a deep breath in frustration and the smell of seawater filled his nose reminding him once again of where they were.

“If I take us in the wrong direction we could die.”

“It is good that you want to choose wisely, but if we stay here you are sure to die.”

“If I choose, how will I know if I have chosen the right way?”

“You will feel my turning, sometimes small and sometimes much greater, but I can only steer this vessel when it moves. You need not fear the direction you choose as long as you allow me to hold the wheel. Set sail.”

“Yes Captain.”

No comments:

Post a Comment