Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The question

I love good questions. To me a good question is far better than a good answer. A good answer is like the route you take to work everyday. I t does not change much. But a good question is like the beginning of an uncharted path. You never know what amazing places it can take you.

This week my pastor asked his grandson Brady a question I had never thought to ask before. He asked him, “What do you think Jesus is thankful for?” Brady shouted, “Me!” without even thinking about it.

I began to walk down the path of this question in my mind and think of what in this dark hurting world Jesus is thankful for. I thought about how He is probably thankful for the man or woman who gives money to the homeless person begging on the corner because He knows that compassion is more important than what is done with the gift. I thought He is probably thankful for the churches that come together to seek Him because He knows that love and worship are more important than having the correct theology. I thought He is probably thankful for those who held their tongues when everything inside them wanted to complain, or insult, or prove their point because He knows that sometimes no action is the greatest action of all.

As I began to think about all the things God is thankful for it brought to mind more questions. How many things do I do that God is thankful for? Am I giving enough? Do I have enough faith? Do I love people the way I should? I began to think about how fall short I fall from the man I should be. I thought about all the times I let my mind wander where it should not go. I thought about how lazy I can be. I thought about how I want to be right at all costs. I thought about how little I do that God can look down from heaven on and be thankful for.

I want to do better. I want to be better. But I finally reached the end of this path and do you know what I found? I had good answers, but Brady had a better one. God loves the things we do to show His love and build His character in our lives, but not nearly as much as He loves us just for who we are. Regardless of what you have or have not done, if you asked God what He is most thankful for His answer would always be you.

No comments:

Post a Comment